How do you treat a haircut? Is it just a chore to get done and over with or a pampering moment where you surrender yourself wholely to expert hands?
It’s usually a chore for me. Being a busy bee, it means going to the barber or salon to make sure the children comply with the school’s prescribed haircut. My husband, being in the military does his routine haircut for compliance.
A week ago, it was different for us. Having all family members finally complete, the dad said, “Let’s go to the salon.” The little one was raring to go because it’s school break and he’s allowed to get his Cristiano Ronaldo haircut. For the girls, a salon visit is always a welcome treat. For me, it’s a lucky day! I’m sure my hair agrees.
It was not just another haircut. It was a lovely, family experience. Here’s a list of why it was such.
- Our favorite hairstylist named Charles still worked with the salon. After almost a year of not going to him as a family, he gushed at how the kids have grown. I looked at the kids and yes, we’re nearly all adults! The banter with Charles and the Bench Fix crew was light and lovely.
- Constancio the Dad, who always entrusts his cut to his personal, official barber watched over and lingered lovingly to just look at his kids. I could see how he is proud of his genes. His presence…just priceless.
- In the same way, it took years for the kids to be with their dad once again in a haircut occasion. I know they are quite grateful at how their parents go out of their way to be with them in such a simple activity…especially the littlest one. I remember when we first brought them for their baby haircut and now, we bring them still to supervise the haircut of their choice that would suit their personality.
- It was fun for me to watch how my teenagers could not get enough of mirrors! A lot of narcissistic love in there! I was laughing inside.
- From time to time, they would glance at me and ask, Is the cut ok? Bagay ba? Questions that are so simple yet to me, they mean that my opinion still counts. Thank heavens for that.
- Personally, after my haircut, it felt as if my entire head could breathe again! I literally felt lighter.
I wonder when the next haircut experience will be.